4 slices thick bread
2 tablespoons butter
4 thin slices cheddar cheese
4 thin slices monterey jack cheese
2 green chiles, chopped
½ cup flour
1/2 cup Panko crumbs
2 eggs, beaten together with 2 Tbs. of water
Dash of salt
Vegetable oil, enough to coat the bottom of a large skillet or frying pan
Before starting, beat the eggs with a dash of salt in a shallow bowl big enough to dip the bread in. Place the flour and panko crumbs on separate plates.
1. Start by buttering one side of each piece of bread as you would do for a grilled cheese sandwich. Place them butter side down on a plate.
2. On one half of the bread, place 2 slices of cheddar cheese, topped with a thick layer of green chile and then topped with 2 slices of the monterey jack cheese. Top with another slice of bread, butter side out. Repeat with remaining sandwich.
3. In a large, dry skillet or frying pan, grill the sandwich until browned on both sides. Press down with a spatula or bacon press to flatten the bread and sear the butter against the hot surface. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Remove the skillet from the heat and add a thin layer of vegetable oil for frying the sandwiches.
4. Return the skillet to the burner and heat to medium high again
5. Using two forks or a fork and spatula, carefully dredge both sides of each sandwich in flour – then dip in the egg mixture – then the panko crumbs.
6. Place the coated sandwiches in the hot oil. Cook until browned on both sides.
7. Remove, slice and serve.