Enjoy your morning with this Chilaquiles Breakfast Casserole for Christmas. Make it the night before and finish cooking when ready, whether it’s breakfast or brunch! The important question is – Before or After Gifts??
- One Dozen corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 – 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 8 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toppings such as avocado, Cotija or feta cheese, tortilla strips, and/or cilantro
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish. Spread tortillas evenly on two baking sheets. Bake on separate oven racks 15 minutes. Remove; let cool.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and oregano. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, and chipotle peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken.
Cover bottom of prepared baking dish with a little sauce from the chicken, then layer the tortillas. Top with chicken mixture; let cool. Cover; chill overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake casserole, covered, 35 minutes. Remove from oven. Make eight intents in chicken mixture with the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into a custard cup; slip egg into an indent. Repeat with remaining eggs. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are thickened. Remove. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.